The eyes of Dr.TJ Eckleburg

The eyes of Dr.TJ Eckleburg

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Lunch Date



I've been bored sitting around at home recently. Since I've been to that party in West Egg I've taken a peculiar interest in this Gatsby man, who has befriended the other man, Nick. Apparently he lives beside Gatsby, I know this because when I was waiting for my driver to pick me up at the front gate I watched Nick cross the lawn and into his house.

I figured since I had nothing else that I had to do, I might as well find out where they're going. So I followed the two misfits to a restaurant, I was in the neighborhood so it made sense at the time. There they met with a smaller man. When I heard his name was Meyer Wolfshiem, I knew that he was Jewish.. He looked like it too. People tell me its unfair to make stereotypes like that, but I've learned that stereotypes are faster, I don't have to try to get to know someone, I just apply a template to them and be done with it.. It's much more effective that way.


The Jewish man seemed shifty, he kept looking around everywhere like a scared rodent, like he was afraid of something. He was a weak character, I could tell. These are the sort of friends this “Gatsby” has. Gatsby's mannerisms were off. He was not your ideal tycoon. He didn't fit in with the environment of the fancy restaurant, or even the cream coloured suit that he was wearing. He was always fidgeting around, using strange figures of speech like “old sport.” he couldn't be compared to the high class I'm familiar with, they seem a lot more 'comfortable' with themselves.


Gatsby wasn't the complete opposite though, either. He certainly didn't fit in with any lower classes; he was much too rich for that. Gatsby's money, and his lack of fitting mannerisms made him a stranger to all sides, and it was sickening. He had too much money for himself, so much that he didn't even know what to do with it. I figured out why he had these elaborate parties. He yearned for acceptance in a world that simply did not identify him as acceptable, it had an inverse affect, and he was blind to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment