The eyes of Dr.TJ Eckleburg

The eyes of Dr.TJ Eckleburg

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Interviewing Jay Gatsby

[[This is an interview that I, Patsy Robert Bateman Junior, conducted before the death of Jay Gatsby]]

Mister Gatsby, last night at precisely 11:36 you were standing on the edge of your property staring out at the water at a green light across the bay. What does that light mean to you?

Gatsby: Well now, that light is more than just some lightbulb across the water. That light, for me, is something that keeps me going. When I feel directionless, all it takes is a quick glance and I know where I'm going, old sport.

He pauses here, and rubs the side of his cheek, and then he replaces his hands into the pocket of his finely tailored pink suit.

Mister Gatsby, you realize that the amount of moneey that you own could get you anywhere in the world, but yet you are content to pursue a married woman. Do you realize that there are over 2.6 billion people in the world, there are probably around five million women in the world that you would live happily ever after with, why do you choose Daisy?

Gatsby: I've never looked at it that way. I think that a lot of who I am revolves on who I have been for the past thirty years. It makes no sense for me to go on a hunt in eastern europe for the special someone, old sport.

What is the most satisfying thing about hosting the large parties at your residence? Why do you do it?

Gatsby looks at me strangely, and then at the ground, and back at me again:

Gatsby: I uhh.. I find it most enjoyable to see people enjoying themselves, I like to watch the hilarity, which is why I invite so many people!

Alright.. But why is it that you do it, what is the main reason behind it?

This is where Gatsby is visibly getting uncomfortable

Gatsby: Say, have you seen my fine library? You look like you're a fond reader.

Mister Gatsby, you're getting off topic here. I think that you should answer the question.

Gatsby: Right! Sorry, I'm a bit.. uhh- distracted at the moment, old sport.. What was the question again?

Gatsby is beginnning to look quite nervous standing there in his pink suit, looking back and forth uneasily. He has avoided the question and then asked what it is.. So, I am going to ask it again.

Mister Gatsby, what is the main reason that you have the parties for?

Gatsby: Ahh. Right. Well, you see, I'm fond of this woman I know, Daisy and I..

His voice trails off and he hasn't begun to finish the fragmented sentance.

And you.. what, Mister Gatsby, what about Daisy?

Gatsby: I was hoping that Daisy would come.

Ahh.. Why is it that you want her to come?

Gatsby: I.. Alright I think we need to slow this interview down now, old sport. I've got Philidelphia on the phone and I can't be kept waiting. Goodbye for now, I'm sure we can.. finish this some time else. (This is where he ends with a quick one of his characteristic smiles before dissapearing into his house.)




No comments:

Post a Comment