The eyes of Dr.TJ Eckleburg

The eyes of Dr.TJ Eckleburg

Wednesday, January 6, 2010

The Scum In Between


On the way to some party at West Egg, I was shocked with the poverty and scum in between West and East Egg. The Valley of Ashes is what they call it. Its foul, and disgusting, an all out eyesore for the real people that make up this country. While my driver was driving, I had the time to stare out the window at shanty buildings, industrial filth, and the inhabitants of these wretched places. All of them were scurrying to their jobs like little hamsters. A great deal of them probably never even stayed around long enough to finish elementary school. Most of their technical knowledge in life is for menial, petty little things like trades and manual labour. They could all be replaced by machines, or primates or something..

My thoughts began to shift back to the present. My brother, Christopher, gave me this invitation to this party in West Egg. Apparently the house is almost half as large as our Estate back at home.. That's somewhat impressive. It sounded interesting at best, but I still don't like these West Egg types. New Arrivals..they're too used to the regular problems and hardships in a mediocre life. Some of them function on a salary. All of the sudden they expect our acceptance and appreciation, it's ridiculous. I never understood the people that 'got rich'. They carry a god complex around with themselves. They see themselves as accomplished human beings because they played a game of business and innovation and capitalism accepted their spiel. Now they have a huge chip on their shoulders, the 'success' drags them into a different light and it's repulsive. All because of money. Me, I'm not like this. I've been privileged at birth. Money hasn't warped me, because its always been with me! I am superior. People like me are “purer,” and much less biased.

And now we're here. The host's name is Jay Gatsby. Let's see if he's any different. I doubt it. Usually my guesses are right.. Anyone from West Egg is the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment